Internet access via FRITZ!Box 6890 not possible
- 1 Summary
- 2 Description
- 2.1 Step 1: Check the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- 2.2 Step 2: Activate the DHCP server of the FRITZ!Box
- 2.3 Step 3: Setting up the device to obtain the IP settings automatically
- 2.4 Step 4: Set up DNS server in FRITZ!Box
- 2.5 Step 5: Configuring Internet Explorer
- 2.6 Step 6: Firewall des Computers einrichten
- 2.7 Step 6: Install the latest software for network adapters
- 3 Used Hardware
- 4 References
Although the FRITZ!Box is set up for Internet access via the mobile phone network or a DSL connection, devices connected to it cannot access the Internet. One of the following messages may appear in the events of the FRITZ! box or the "Network and Sharing Center" of affected Windows computers:
"No LTE network was found in range." "LTE connection could not be established. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check APN settings." "Unidentified network" "Access: Local only" "Access type: No Internet access"
Carry out the measures described here one after the other. After each action, check whether the problem has been solved.
Step 1: Check the event log of the FRITZ!Box
1. Click on "System" in the user interface of the FRITZ! box.
2. Click on "Events" in the "System".
3. Select the entry "Internet Connection" in the drop-down list.
4. Check whether any error messages are displayed.
5. If any of the following error messages are displayed, follow the steps in the corresponding instructions:
FRITZ!Box reports "No LTE network was found in range" (Power LED flashes) FRITZ!Box reports "DSL does not respond" (Power LED flashes) FRITZ!Box reports frequent interruptions of the mobile phone connection FRITZ!Box reports frequent interruptions of the DSL connection FRITZ!Box reports "PPPoE error FRITZ!Box reports "Login to Internet provider failed".
6. If the message "LTE connection could not be established. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check the APN settings" is displayed:
a. Click on "Access data" in the "Internet" menu.
b. Select your mobile phone provider in the "Internet Provider" drop-down list. If your provider is listed more than once, select the entry matching
your tariff. If your mobile phone provider is not shown in the drop-down list:
a. Select "Other Internet Provider" in the drop-down list.
b. Activate the option "Specify access point (APN)" and enter the APN access point of your mobile phone provider under "Access point".
For information on the APN access point, contact your provider.
c. Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Step 2: Activate the DHCP server of the FRITZ!Box
In the factory settings, the FRITZ! box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you have deactivated the DHCP server of the FRITZ!Box, reactivate it:
1. Click on "Home network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
2. In the "Home network" menu, click on "Network".
3. Click on the "Network settings" tab.
4. Click on the "IPv4 addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, first activate the Advanced View.
5. Activate the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box allocates IP addresses.
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box uses the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200
6. Click "OK" to save the settings.
Step 3: Setting up the device to obtain the IP settings automatically
To ensure that the device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ! box (this is the default setting of most devices):
Set up the device to obtain the IP settings automatically via DHCP.
Step 4: Set up DNS server in FRITZ!Box
In the factory settings, the FRITZ! box uses the DNS servers of the Internet provider for the name resolution of Internet addresses. If you have set up other DNS servers in the FRITZ! box, reactivate the DNS servers of the Internet provider:
1. Click on "Internet" in the user interface of the FRITZ! box.
2. Click on "Access data" in the "Internet" menu.
3. Click the "DNS Server" tab. If the tab is not displayed, first activate the Advanced View.
4. Check the "Use DNSv4 servers assigned by your Internet service provider (recommended)" option.
5. If the 'DNSv6 Servers' section is displayed, enable the 'Use ISP-assigned DNSv6 servers (recommended)' option.
6. Click Apply to save the settings.
Step 5: Configuring Internet Explorer
Perform this action only if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and it displays the "Web page not available offline" message:
1. Start the Internet Explorer.
2. Open the "Tools" menu.
3. If a menu item "Offline operation" is displayed and a check mark is placed in front of it, click on this item to remove the check mark.
4. Click on the "Internet Options" menu item and then on "Connections".
5. Activate the "Do not select a connection" option.
6. Click "OK" to save the settings.
Step 6: Firewall des Computers einrichten
A firewall can disturb the communication between the computer and the FRITZ! box:
Set up the computer's firewall to allow connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. For information on how to set it up, contact the manufacturer of the firewall, for example in the manual.
Step 6: Install the latest software for network adapters
Install the latest driver for the computer's network adapter or the latest software for the affected device.